Thursday, October 6, 2011

Featured Artist: Louise Browne of Living Ginger Designs

Le Grá Craft Studio and Gallery is delighted to present the work of Oughterard-based artist, Louise Browne of Living Ginger Designs.




Louise explains how she developed her love of ceramics:

I have always loved to make things, and from a little girl was always to be found making a variety of items. I studied Art and Design, and Textiles, and at the age of 17 years I discovered Pottery and went on to study A' levels in the subject, and I was hooked.

I went on to an Art Foundation Course, specializing in Sculpture where we were encouraged to be as adventurous as we liked. I started my Degree Course in Wood, Metal, Glass, and Ceramics at Manchester Metropolitan University, but missed the Art College vibe, and so went on to begin my Second Year at The Kent Institute of Art and Design, and felt totally at home. It was in my final year that I began working with Porcelain and my Smocked fabrics.

I graduated in 2000 with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 3D Design- Ceramics, and like many Art Graduates joined the 9-5 workforce and held numerous positions in Window Dressing, Secretarial, and lastly working my way up the career ladder in Healthcare management, but never feeling totally full-filled.

In 2007 my new husband and I decided to move to Ireland to pursue our dreams and seek a better quality of life, where I continued to develop my Impressed ranges while working Part- time. Although it has sometimes been frustrating to start a new life and career, I have found the support in Ireland for a new Crafts person much greater than that of the UK. I finally began to purse my passion full time in 2010 and now make beautiful and useful items every day, and have never been so happy in my job.

The name Living Ginger designs, was adopted from my late mother (a Potter too, based in Co. Clare) Pottery name and as a tribute to her. It was originally inspired by that of Jack. B Yeats "creativity and exuberance being the living ginger of life". Living Ginger Designs workshop is based in Oughterard, the Gateway to Connemara.

No comments:

Post a Comment